The Castle Heights-area tract around Provon Lane was recorded on September 5, 1952, by Gordon Victor Provonsha (1909-1956) & Bailey Rhea (Fishburn) Provonsha (1914-2011), Paul Waldorf Hornaday (1898-1959) & Constance (Clark) Hornaday (1903-1982), and Ruth Elizabeth (Shepard) Hunstock (1891-1976). The group recorded Tract 17327, setting out 21 lots along Provon Lane, running north from National Boulevard between Shelby Drive and Castle Heights Avenue and south of the lots on Donker/Vicar – resubdividing much of the December 3, 1900, “Replat of a Portion of Southworth & Williams’ Extension of the Palm City Tract.” The Provonshas, who lived at 3244 Shelby Drive, may have owned the bulk of the land.
Before the Provonshas came to the Castle Heights area – indeed, before there was a “Castle Heights” – the area was owned by William James Chambers (1867-1942). Chambers was a prominent doctor who resided at 3244 Shelby Drive until, at least, the 1930s. (Based on the relatively high $40,000 valuation of his 3244 Shelby house in the 1930 census, the former orchard acreage was included.)
By 1940, William and Nina Chambers had relocated from 3224 Shelby Drive (to nearby 9331 National Boulevard) and the Provonshas moved in. Co-subdivider Ruth Hunstock lived next-door at 3220 Shelby Drive with her husband, Parham Isaac Hunstock, Jr. (1890-1950). Parham Hunstock’s sister, Nina Alberta (Hunstock) Chambers (1886-1951) had married Dr. Chambers in 1915.