The Palms, subdivided in 1886, was a farm town located along the Los Angeles and Independence Railway between the cities of Los Angeles and Santa Monica. On May 22, 1915, the 7.3 square mile Palms Annexation brought The Palms within Los Angeles city limits.
Cheviot Hills Area Tracts
From 1920s through the 1950s, developers subdivided farmland from former 19th century Spanish and Mexican ranchos Rincón de Los Bueyes and La Ballona into housing tracts. By the late 20th Century, those tracts and others – among them Cheviot Hills (1923), Country Club Highlands (1923), Monte-Mar Vista (1925), and Cheviot Knolls (1938) – were collectively called Cheviot Hills.