Cheviot Hills Garden Club History (1937-2013) In August 1937, the Chairman of Civic Beautification of Los Angeles, Mrs. Paul William Lawrence, invited a group of forty-one ladies of our area to a luncheon at the West Side Tennis Club to work for better bus service, tree trimming, better police protection, lot cleaning and improved mail service. The Garden Club met the next month, headed by Mmes. Alfred T. Schaber, Fowler D. Jones, John W. Donner and John Oslin Crawford. The club’s history was first complied in 1987 and updated through 2013. Individual pages are copied below. Click here to download the full PDF version.