TRAIN GALLERY

In 1885, the Los Angeles and Independence Railroad connected  the City of Los Angeles with the Santa Monica Bay.  Electified and rebranded the "Santa Monica Airline" by 1911, it continued carrying passengers and freight.

When developers advertised their 1923 Country Club Highlands housing tract (now considered part of the Cheviot Hills neighborhood), they touted the adjacent "airline to the beaches."  The Cheviot Hills neighborhood successfully fought to keep passenger service in the 1930s, but Southern Pacific Railway discontinued it in 1953.  Diesel freight trains ran until the late-1980s.  

In 1990, the Los Angeles County Transportation Commission, a predecessor to Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (Metro), bought the railroad right of way.  In 2016 - after a 63 year hiatus - Metro restored Cheviot Hills' train connection by completing the Expo Line and opening a station nearby.  
  1. Westbound on the Santa Monica Air Line below Northvale (Exposition) at Clarkson (1953)
    Westbound on the Santa Monica Air Line below Northvale (Exposition) at Clarkson (1953)
  2. Westbound on the Santa Monica Air Line west of Palms Depot (1953)
    Westbound on the Santa Monica Air Line west of Palms Depot (1953)
  3. Air Line crossing over Motor Avenue Bridge
    Air Line crossing over Motor Avenue Bridge
  4. Westbound on the Santa Monica Air Line over Motor Avenue (1953)
    Westbound on the Santa Monica Air Line over Motor Avenue (1953)
  5. Air Line crossing over Motor Avenue Bridge (1953)
    Air Line crossing over Motor Avenue Bridge (1953)
Going through the tunnel
Steam Engine on the Expo Right of Way - 1898
A steam engine from the line that passed by the future Cheviot Hills neighborhood is shown going through a Los Angeles & Independence Railway tunnel in the area that is now the McClure Tunnel in Santa Monica. The Los Angeles & Independence Railway ran on what was later called then Santa Monica Air Line and is now called the Expo Line.