Cheviot Hills area Tracts
Cheviot Hills (as outlined by the Los Angeles Times' Mapping L.A. project ) is an amalgam of housing tracts big and small, named and  unnamed, situated in hills formerly called the " Palms Hills ," for the earliest (1886) community in the area, " The Palms " (later, simply "Palms").  It covers parts of the Spanish and Mexican land grants, Rancho Rincón de Los Bueyes and Rancho La Ballona

1920s

The hilltop portion of Castle Heights (1922) has been called part of both Cheviot Hills and Monte-Mar Vista.  The most magnificent home in the neighborhood was in the Castle Heights section, where Harry H. Culver had a mansion on 3 acres with stables, tennis courts, and a pool across from the California Country Club he founded and overlooking his domain:  Culver City.  If Castle Heights initially included the biggest lots, building restrictions in Monte-Mar Vista (1924)  made it the most exclusive:  requiring home construction to cost at least $12,000.  That led to several large houses by well-known architects, spread across combined lots.   But when the Great Depression left many lots unsold in Monte-Mar Vista, the minimum was lowered, making its later housing stock indistinguishable from neighboring Cheviot Hills (1924) and Country Club Highlands (1923).  To some extent, these first tracts retained their separate identities until at least the mid-1930s .   

Tract 10440 (1929) apparently never had its own identity, maybe because 29 of its 49 lots were resubdivided into a 4½ acre lot ( Tract 9976 ) to make way for Overland Avenue Elementary School.  The homes did not blend in well enough to be included when the Cheviot Hills Homeowners' Association formed in 1963 " to cope with problems created by the high rise urban development of nearby Century City " (i.e., traffic). 

1930s

In 1938, the Dominguez family's fortune and Walter Leimert's development skill brought Cheviot Knolls to the area, Tract 11566. 

1940s

Tract 13945 (1949) could be considered part of the neighborhood, since 13 of its 15 lots (at the eastern tip of Monte-Mar Vista by the Benedict Canyon Wash) are within the Cheviot Hills Homeowners' Association's boundaries.  Although they are not within the Beverlywood Homes Association boundaries , the lots have more in common with the adjacent Beverlyood, since they were developed by the FHA-loan abusing Weber-Diller Building Company, which, along with the Walter H. Leimert Company, developed
the former Arnaz Ranch land.  

1950s

Tract 15593 – California Country Club Estates (1951) – took its name from the California Country Club, which it replaced.  It has its own, mandatory, California Country Club Homes Association , and its 407 lots are outside the Cheviot Hills Homeowners' Association's boundaries.  It was developed by Sanford "Sandy" Adler, who was also a hotelier, casino-operator, and reputed front man for the Mob

In 1952, Gordon V. & Bailey Rhea Provoncha, Paul W. & Constance C. Hornaday, and Ruth Shepard Hunstock recorded Tract 17327, with 21 (or so) lots along Provon Lane.

 
Sanford Adler followed his California Country Club Estates in 1953 with the 68-lot " Sanford Alder's Hillcrest View Estates ."  The homes would be  included in the Cheviot Hills Homeowners' Association.
 
Finally, in 1954, Roy B. Warring recorded the 10-lot Tract 10440 centered on Girla Way, a street apparently named for his race horse, Girlaway, itself named after horse racing's Triple Crown winner, Whirlaway.