Country Club Highlands Tract

Tract 7156, marketed as Country Club Highlands, was registered with the City of Los Angeles on November 26, 1923, several months after the area was incorporated into the city  through the " Ambassador Annexation " (a.k.a. Ambassador Addition).  T ract maps were signed off by the owner, Hellman Commercial and Savings Bank, in October 1923.  However, a month earlier (in September 1923) a dvertisements trumpeted “homesites as low as $750, $112.50 down, 5 years to pay balance!” 

The tract was likely developed by Ben C. Sheldon, whose June 30, 1959, obituary  reported that "Mr. Sheldon, of 10530 Draper Ave., was responsible for extensive subdivision in the 20s and 30s in the Santa Monica, Glendale and Rancho Park areas."  Sheldon's Draper homesite was possibly the largest and one of the highest up in the tract; it has since been replaced.  Mr. Sheldon helped establish the Marshall P. Riddick Youth Center by donating (or discounting) a parcel .

Streets and sidewalks for “Country Club Highlands” are stamped with:  general contractor Hall Johnson Co.  
​​
September 19,1923, Advertisement.
November 15, 1925 article on Country Club Highlands brick home on Aiken Avenue.