Ambassador Addition – Cheviot Hills area added to City of Los Angeles

The transition from agricultural to residential use of today's Cheviot Hills area happened on the heels of the May 16, 1923, "Ambassador Addition" – annexing much of the former Rancho Rincón de los Bueyes to the City of Los Angeles.  On October 10, 1922, the City Council rejected the first annexation petition (along with Laurel Canyon's) because " the petitions did not include the districts' sharing in the carrying charges of the recently approved $12,000,000 sewer bond issue."  On March 20, 1923, electors in the new territory chose to join Los Angeles, and the City Council annexed it the next day

The Ambassador name likely came from the fact that a large section in the northwest held the Ambassador Hotel's golf course, which had opened on the land in July 1921.  "Ambassador" was also used for the July 1923  Ambassador Park  subdivision in the northeast portion of the former  Rancho la Ballona – an area already annexed to Los Angeles with the May 22, 1915,  Palms Annexation .
In the far left, Lot A (Tract 843) of José de Arnaz' subdivision of Rancho Rincón de los Bueyes became the larger section of the  Country Club Highlands subdivision .  Immediately east, Lot B was the Ambassador Hotel's  ​Rancho Country Club.  Below them, Tract Number 1938, a subdivision of Francisco Higuera's Lot A in the Rancho Rincón de los Bueyes, would become the Cheviot Hills subdivision.  Up to the right, some of Lot C and most of Lot E of Arnaz' earlier subdivision became the  Monte Mar Vista subdivision . ​​
Ambassador Addition Map